Over the last few months, I’ve had multiple customers contact me after having their websites re-done on Shopify. The issues have ranged from any of the following:
- Old links from their previous website, are no longer working.
- Emails stopped working.
- Still using the default ‘MyShopify’ URL vs. store’s real domain name.
- Running two completely separate websites — e.g. one WordPress website and one Shopify website.
- Product Collections aren’t working.
Almost anyone can ‘design’ a Shopify website from a template, but not everyone understands things like 301 redirects (which are even built-in to Shopify) or more-importantly, DNS records (specifically, MX records which control your email).
So please use an experienced web developer for this and make sure they understand the various pieces of a website, above and beyond putting together a Shopify template.
Here’s a quick checklist:
- Document all of your current/old website links.
- Document all of your DNS records. (You can do an MX lookup @ MX Toolbox)
- Make sure your proper business domain name is what Shopify is using.
- Verify your Product Collections are what you expect vs. your Categories in your consignment software.